Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sockapaloooza Learning Swerve

If learning fiddly new things helps build brain synapses, I've made my quota for the week just by starting my Sockapaloooza sox. Look at this small wonder:
Here we have a Turkish Cast-On (I learned it from a Meg Swansen article in Vogue, but this tutorial is extremely clear, and online) and my first foray into the mystical Magic Loop and my first toe-up sock. Now I'm going to go breathe into a paper bag.

As pleased as I am with all this new learnin', I think I'll pull this first try out and start again. I have some weird gaps on the sides of the toe, which are either because my ML technique is clumsy or because my M1s aren't quite right. I can never remember which direction to lift the bar from and whether to knit into the front or back of the resulting loop. Must go look it up. And I might go back to Romni and get a longer circular needle, because I think this would be more comfortable with larger magic loops. Soon I'll own nineteen versions of 2.25mm sock needles.

I'm so excited about these sox! I want to get some momentum going on them...but I'm supposed to be reading up on a potential new client, so I have to put them aside for a bit. This week is jam packed with work, almost all of it revenue-generating: good for my needle habit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! That's a whole lot of new info you added to your tool belt! Your pal should be really happy with the finished product.

7:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be a bit unsolicited advise, but I thought I'd help with the "holes"

I have found that knitting in the front and the back loop of the second stitch from the edge, helps. I always have trouble with my increases too!

1:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home