Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Inaugural Sock


Check it out: one sock in the sunshine, hangin' in the backyard. It needs its toe grafted, but for that I have to get out the Knitty article and concentrate. It fits reasonably well: maybe a little slouchier than it ought to be, but I'm pleased with it. And its sibling is on the sticks and seeing some action on the subway/streetcar, so I could have TWO of these pups before long. Then I'll need a whole new outfit to coordinate with them.

On Friday, the clever and crafty SM and I are meeting again and going to Lettuce Knit, where I will finally buy the yarn for my Sockapaloooza pal...and maybe something for another shawl. Maybe. A client sent a whopping cheque today, and it's smoldering in my pocket. [Note to self: mustn't spend grocery money on yarn and call it a weight loss initiative.]

Today I met my friend Maya to catch up and do a refresher knitting lesson. She's determined to make a shrug, and she'll be able to do it once she gets more comfortable with the needles and figures out what to do with all those fingers. I was showing her the knit stitch in slow motion and had to think hard about all the small steps...how do I keep the needles steady when I'm throwing the yarn? I pinch the needles where they make an "X", of course, but it took me a minute to watch myself and figure it out. Ditto on gripping the yarn with the little finger of my right hand immediately after the throw...that's what keeps the tension from going all loosey goosey, but until today I couldn't have said what I was doing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bonne Marie said...

I love the stitch holder! I am at the exact same point on a sock and was just about to go look up the grafting instructions - never can REMEMBER them...

That sock is a beauty! :)

10:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home